Re: Oracle XE Corruption

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jepettrey@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 11:50:59 -0700

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 11:40 AM, Evan Pettrey <jepettrey@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The ''smon_scn_time_tim_idx' index is found in the "smon_scn_time" table.
>
> Since it appears I will be required to rebuild the index offline, does
> anybody have any idea how long this might take? I guess it depends on how
> large the table/index is, it would be helpful to be able to give end users
> some sort of an expectation before shutting down the database if at all
> possible.

Probably less time than it takes to replace the differential in my car.  :)

More seriously though, it really depends on the entire environment:
* HW
* how busy is it
* storage system capacity
* etc, etc, etc.

Unless I missed something earlier, I don't recall any kind of information
that would give us a clue as to how long it may take.

Here's a way to find out.

Export the table (if possible) and import it to a database on a development
or test server.  Using one that has somewhat less capacity than the
production
server is Ok, as it will help prevent you from providing overly optimistic
timing
estimates.

Just build the index on the test db and see how long it takes.

If you have to, and it is allowed, create a new account in the same server
and use CTAS to create the table.  Be sure to do this when it is unlikely
to cause problems for users.  Don't do this if you have  test server you
can use, testing on production is scary stuff, and not recommended.

As stated in another post, dropping and rebuilding the index may be a good
idea.

HTH

Jared Still
Home Page: http://jaredstill.com