Re: Oracle XE Corruption

  • From: "Daniel Fink" <daniel.fink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 19:07:45 +0000

To Andy's point about not being marked as unusable, I agree. Throwing serious
errors on an object but not deciding to mark that object as unusable strikes me
as not wise. Were the statements failing or just using bad data?

To Niall's point - I really want to know if my metadata is hosed. Bad metadata
could mean bad data being returned without any indication. If it requires an
instance down, so be it. If it had not been for a file system space issue, this
might not have been caught...that I don't like.

Of course, I did not write smon code, nor any Oracle code (I flail away at SQL and write PL/SQL at the same level as an unusually dim hedgehog). But as a DBA, bad metadata causes way too many problems (been there, done that in Oracle7) to be left to a simple trace file.