Re: Oracle 11.2 as RMAN Catalog - My experience

  • From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Scott Sibert <ssibert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 15:15:41 -0300

Well, these are all valid points. I have managed to get most backups working
fine. However I am consistently getting ORA-7445 when I try to
backup/register/sync a database on one of the Linux servers. I also have
intermittent problems with the 9i databases, but I expected that.

I am not saying the catalog doesn't ever work, I'm just saying that our
upgrade was rushed and we didn't test it thoroughly before rolling it out.

The catalogs were upgraded when necessary and some were actually recreated
(yes, we lost historical data). We have several catalogs in several
different schemas, I don't think this has anything to do, but we don't have
a lot of databases in each catalog.

The only workaround I found was taking the linux backups as NOCATALOG...
which would suck at a restore... and the downgrade is still being discussed.

I have no doubt that we will eventually have every problem solved... I just
wanted to share my experience and warn people not to run into the same wall
of bricks...

someone had to hit the bugs... this time it was me... this is how Oracle
works... :P

thanks for all the replies.
Alan.-