Re: OT Discussion- Priority of Performance Tuning...

  • From: Kellyn Pot'vin <kellyn.potvin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "breitliw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <breitliw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, oracle-l List <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 14:29:18 -0700 (PDT)

I'll share my view on this one as I did with Wolfgang, as I still disagree with
a bit of this, finding that I can't follow the business blindly, because
sometimes doing what's best for the business isn't always doing exactly what
they think should be done.

I know how many times, after hours, I worked on something that I knew was going
to rear it's ugly head and sure enough, my manager and the business would
approach me, and I was prepared with what appeared to be a quick fix because I
could see the impact to business even if the business could not.  The business
hired me to be that expert, do what they ask, but to also go that extra mile to
"watch their backs".  Yes, two different companies even referred to me as the
Psychic DBA as I seemed to know what I needed to work on before they saw the
importance of it.  Does that mean I didn't take care of their priorities?
 No...  It simply meant I had the foresight to keep on my radar what had the
potential to go wrong and be pro-active about it.  I am part of the business,
an expert in my field and sometimes its my job to get the business what it
needs even if it isn't what it says it was what it wanted...

Kellyn Pot'Vin
Sr. Database Administrator and Developer
DBAKevlar.com