Re: OT Discussion- Priority of Performance Tuning...

  • From: Brent Day <coloradodba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kellyn.potvin@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 11:52:36 -0600

Great thread. Politics and eagerness to impress drives many projects to put
performance consideration as a low/no priority until problems surface in
production. Unfortunately in my 20+ years doing Oracle development/DBA work,
 most companies I have worked at are very quick to blame Oracle, the DBA
team or some other sub system (storage, unix, etc) but more times than not
it is poor application design, bad SQL and developers not really
understanding how the database works.
I just completed leading a project where we were forced to re-platform our
PeopleSoft system. I fought this till the end saying no amount of hardware
would fix the performance issues and that query tuning, adding appropriate
indexing, etc would be required. Well, long story short - new hardware did
nothing for the performance and DBA team had to scramble to analyze 1800
queries, add indexes and rewrite queries.

Even after this, we still have new projects run by the same project managers
doing business the old way. Its all about politics and getting the projects
done early so the project team can look like heros / meet or exceed criteria
for bonuses, etc. Sadly the end product usually never meets user
expectations.

Just my .02
Brent