RE: ORA-1578...block corrupted...error is normal...a block...had a NOLOGGING...operation performed against

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Mladen Gogala" <gogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 09:24:28 -0700

Mladen, you also seem to be missing the point.  You say the documentation is
wrong - but then you go on to agree with it later in the same paragraph
("Oracle, as a matter of fact, allows you to bypass logging for speed").

We already understand that the indexes are not direct-path inserted like the
heap table is.  What we're discussing here is whether or not the (non-direct)
index maintenance associated with a direct-path table insert is logged or not.
The documentation says it is not logged if you CREATE/ALTER the index
NOLOGGING, but as Jared and I have shown - the index maintenance, is actually
fully logged, so the index is recoverable after the operation.

Also, what do you mean when you say "The NOLOGGING clause on an index will
bypass logging but will significantly slow thing down,
as the index will need to be rebuilt."?

How would NOLOGGING slow anything down and why would an index need to be
rebuilt because of it?  The only case I can think of is during recovery if you
haven't backed up the tablespace since the creation of the index - but this
should happen rarely, if ever (never happened to me in 7 years).

Regards,
Brandon

On 08/23/2005 08:11:10 PM, Allen, Brandon wrote:
> Here is another test indicating that a direct-path insert to a nologging
> index is actually logged (like Jared has also shown), which is contrary to
> the documentation.

Documentation is plain wrong here.

 . . .