Re: ORA-1578...block corrupted...error is normal...a block...had a NOLOGGING...operation performed against

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rjsearle@xxxxxxxxx" <rjsearle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 13:17:59 -0700

On 8/20/05, rjsearle@xxxxxxxxx <rjsearle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Forgive me for jumping in here in the middle of a conversation but I can't
> push these thoughts from my mind... Are all of these observations supported
> by the simple fact the modifications to the data dictionary ARE logged
> (recursive SQL) So the entries into the obj$ tables as a result of the new
> objects would be logged as well as the extent allocation actions.

Yes, the changes to the data dictionary are all logged.

You can see this by the small amount of redo generated even when inserting
> with append hint that results in a new extent (DMT obviously). So the block
> operations on the index may not be logged but the changes to the schema are
> logged.

Yup. There's some other stuff in there as well. A session
with logminer would reveal what is being logged.

Also I consider it unwise to create *persistent* segments use nologging
> option for exactly this reason. But indexes can always be rebuilt, but at
> what cost? (how many days processing?)

Unless you do direct path loads or use the APPEND hit, all DML will be
logged.
If you can save a lot of time and resources by doing so, then why not do it,
unless you have a very good reason not to?

Back it up afterwards and you will be able to recover.

--
Jared Still