RE: ORA-1578...block corrupted...error is normal...a block...had a NOLOGGING...operation performed against

  • From: "Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR)" <Thomas.Mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 08:02:54 -0400

All,

I was thinking about this whole topic over the weekend.  It just affirms
my feeling that using the NOLOGGING option needs to be used judiciously.
And I question how much time we are saving here.

I have now come up with a "NEW RULE" (to borrow from Bill Mahar).

If the total time to reload using NOLOGGING and a total backup is less
than a reload with LOGGING and no backup, then don't use it.

I personally have never liked turning logging off.  I would just as soon
deal with the extra archive logs and extra time involved with the
restore than what Chris has been dealing with.  There are far too many
things happening in a database for me to remember or even know about.
So if *everything* is covered by archive logs, then a recovery will
always work.

Tom