RE: New NetApp storage

  • From: "Matthew Zito" <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>, "Oracle-L Freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 18:53:48 -0400

Just to round out this discussion for everyone else, up until
about...four years ago or so, you could only run what would be
stereotypically called "NAS" protocols, like CIFS and NFS.  Then NetApp
introduced block/SAN protocols like Fibre Channel and iSCSI support
across their whole line.  While most people still think of them as the
nfs company, they do a lot of business with fibre channel and iscsi.

The other nice thing about the filer is that on NetApp, block
devices/LUNs are really just files on the filesystem that are mapped to
individual LUN slots (i.e. this card, this WWN, this lun ID) .  So, if
you have a multiprotocol filer - for example, our filers are licenses
for NFS, FC, and iSCSI - you can expose the same LUN over fibre channel
and iSCSI, and then do an image level duplication of it over nfs (or
flexclone, etc.).  This allows you to, as you need, migrate storage from
FC to iSCSI (i.e. expensive high performance to low cost/not as fast
storage) and vice-versa on demand.  We do this quite a bit in our
development environments.

Also, the performance is quite good, typically.  NetApp has some pretty
good FC and iSCSI performance benchmarks against the EMC Clariion and
other traditional SAN arrays.

Matt