Re: New NetApp storage

  • From: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle-L Freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 15:47:14 -0700

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 2:33 PM, Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We are moving our databases (and some other stuff) to NetApp.
>
> This is my first experience with NetApp and using NFS as storage.
> Thursday I am meeting with some NetApp technical reps.
> What are some of the questions I should be asking these folks?

Well, here is where my ignorance of NetApp was exposed.

I had always thought that NetApp required NFS.

That is not true, though it may have been at one time.

The database servers will be connected to NetApp via Fiber Channel Protocol,
so
NFS is not involved.

The person that we spent the day with is ex-Oracle, and quite knowledgeable
about
both Oracle and NetApp.

The workings of WAFL were explained.

He showed us how to use Qtree's in our architecture so that future expansion
will
be simplified.

FlexVols, FlexClones, LUN's, etc. were all explained pretty well and we went
through
a number of examples on our new systems.

Now to set it up, benchmark it and see how it performs.

Thanks for all the replies.

--
Jared Still