RE: NetApp flier - based snapshots and db backups

  • From: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kevin.closson@xxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 15:37:01 -0400

Just to add on to what Kevin said....I used to have conversations w/ my
storage guy ,and get totally confused, cause he was speaking EMC
language and I was speaking Oracle language.  When we finally got
someone from EMC on the phone that understood both sides, the
terminology she used, which finally allowed me to see the light, was
that one method is "recoverable" the other is "restartable".
Recoverable refers to a conventional backup.  You put the tablespaces
into backup mode, split the mirrors, and exit backup mode.  The
"snapshot" is not recoverable, it's restartable.  It's basically a copy
of everything, datafiles, controlfiles, and redo logs, all
self-consistent.  Note that the restartable snapshot MUST include the
redo logs, and a recoverable backup copy NEVER should.

Now, granted, up to now, this was about NetApp, and I'm talking EMC,
but, conceptually, the ideas are the same.  The key concept to get is
that a snapshot, taken while the database is up and running, and
tablespaces are not in backup mode, is restartable, not recoverable.
The confusion I referred to in previous conversations w/ my storage
admin all centered around the fact that he didn't make (didn't know to
make) a distinction between restartable and recoverable!  He'd say "EMC
says it will work, they have customers that do it all the time!"  And
I'd tell him "If the tablespaces aren't in backup mode, I can't recover
it!!"

-Mark

--
Mark J. Bobak
Senior Database Administrator, System & Product Technologies

ProQuest...Start here.