RE: NetApp flier - based snapshots and db backups

  • From: "Matthew Zito" <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <kevin.closson@xxxxxx>, <amit.poddar@xxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 21:01:27 -0400

That's correct.  What's very exciting about Netapp snapshots, too, is that if
you get the FlexClone option, you can make multiple read-write copies of your
snapshots, and those copies only take up as much space as the data that is
changed.  So, you could give each developer a full copy of your production
database, and assuming they're not going to change a lot of data in the
database, they can run it to their heart's content.  Then, every week, or every
few weeks, destroy and recreate the snapshots from production.

Very cool stuff.

Matt

--
Matthew Zito