Re: NFS on a 10g RAC cluster

  • From: Dan Norris <dannorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Crisler, Jon" <Jon.Crisler@xxxxxxx>, krish.hariharan@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 15:16:59 -0800 (PST)

Hi Jon,

I misinterpreted the question and took an opportunity to get on my
soapbox--sorry about that.

Yes, I believe that you should be able to set up NFS Server as a resource (or
group of resources) under management of Oracle Clusterware. Pretty much any
process that you can start, stop, and check is eligible for Clusterware
management. If you want to see some examples, check out these links:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/clusterware/pdf/TWP-Oracle-Clusterware-3rd-party.pdf
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/clusterware/pdf/SI_DB_Failover_11g.pdf
 (as an example--good scripts here)
http://www.oracle.com/technology/sample_code/products/rac/zip/sifo_action_scripts.zip
http://www.oracle.com/technology/sample_code/products/rac/zip/crs_asagent.zip

In general, you'd want to have some VIP address that clients of the NFS service
use to access the NFS mounts. I'm not an NFS expert, but I expect there are
some NFS server daemons that you may need to restart (possibly to bind to the
new IP) and you'll certainly want to run some exportfs commands or equivalent.
You might also need to fail over some of the underlying storage if you're not
using a CFS. This is essentially rebuilding what has already been done in a
commercial offering by Polyserve (now HP) with their Enterprise File Services
Clustered Gateway (EFS-CG) product (though they use customized NFS server
code--not stock Linux NFS server code so I'm told). I've never used it
personally--just read about it, so this isn't an endorsement, just awareness:
http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/efs/index.html

Dan

From: "krish.hariharan@xxxxxxxxxxxx"
<krish.hariharan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>