My 10 Commandments of Database Administration...

  • From: Freeman Robert - IL <FREEMANR@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Oracle-L (E-mail) '" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 16:17:17 -0500

My 10 commandments of Database administration ... Anyone want to add to
this?

1. Thou shalt backup thy database.
2. Thou shalt test thy database backup, often.
3. Thou shalt remove as many single points of failure as possible.
4. Thou shalt not assume anything.
5. Thou shalt not use version x.0.0 of anything.
6. Thou shalt not assume a 99.999% buffer hit ratio is a good thing.
7. Thou shalt not add hardware, when fixing the application code/SQL will
fix the problem.
8. Thou shalt not allow the user to have DBA privilges.
9. Thou shall document everything.
10. Thou shalt monitor ORACLE-L, read with abandon and imerse thyself in all
that is Oracle.

and my personal 11th commandment

11. Thou shalt use RMAN, and buy all of Robert Freemans books.

Cheers,

Robert