Re: My 10 Commandments of Database Administration...

  • From: "Nuno Souto" <nsouto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 21:21:40 +1000

Whatever the optimiser may do with 31 dec 2099,
it will be a darn long shot better than a NULL value
that can't be indexed...

Still, the correct design is to add a "status" column
where the "current" can be indicated.  The high date
is a poor substitute.  But still better than having to do
range or full table scans to find the current row of a
particular category.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx