Re: Mutliplexing control/redo files

  • From: Remigiusz Sokolowski <remigiusz.sokolowski@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Jed_Walker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 08:09:50 +0100

Walker, Jed S pisze:
> We had a similar experience. When the DB was built it was on an EMC symmetrix
> with mirrored drives, the DBA didn't multiplex because the disks were
> mirrored. Well, the EMC had a failure that affected both the primary and
> mirrored disk and that did in the database.
>
> We multiplex redo and control files even if on the same disk, due to the
> human error factor. I remember a brand new young dba (I'm older now) that
> accidentally deleted a control file, fortunately there was another on the
> same disk, different directory.

I had once a similar experience - and all the control files were not
only on the same disk but also in the same location.
Long story short, when a control file get corrupted, other 2 copies were
fine.

Regards
Remigiusz
--
Pole nakazi

Remigiusz Sokolowski <remigiusz.sokolowski@xxxxxxxxxx>
pos   : DBA at DIiUSI
addr  : Nordea Bank Polska SA, Luzycka 6A Street, 81-537 Gdynia, Poland
phone : +48 58 667 17 43
mobile: +48 602 42 42 77