Re: Moveing to Linux for Windows - Choose Oracle Linux?

  • From: "Mark J. Bobak" <mark@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jeff Chirco <backseatdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 13:58:19 -0500

I can't think of any reason not to. In fact, in your position, with noone
that has any pre-conceived notions or prejudices, I'd definitiely recommend
ORacle Linux.

Mainly, because of the following:

- Oracle optimized UEK (Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel)
- availability of preinstall package (oracle-rdbms-server-12cR1-preinstall)
to very quickly set up almost all prerequisites in one easy step
- ASMLib kernel module is built in to UEK, and Other ASMLib pacakages
available via yum.

It's my preferred distribution for Oracle server systems.

-Mark

On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 12:49 PM, Jeff Chirco <backseatdba@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So we are going to be converting our database from Windows 2008R2 64bit
over to Linux. We are not currently a big Linux shop so we don't have a
preference on the flavor. I am just assuming we would go with Oracle
Linux. Seems like it should be the perfect match. Any reason why not?