Re: Moveing to Linux for Windows - Choose Oracle Linux?

  • From: Adric Norris <landstander668@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ryan January <rjanuary@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 14:28:50 -0600

+1000

Full disclaimer... I'm Ryan's colleague, and opened the 6+ month train
wreck of a production-data-corruption SR (with reproducible test case
provided on day one) which he alluded to. Fun times.

On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 2:22 PM, Ryan January <rjanuary@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Stephan,
I understand this works great in theory, however as a full stack Oracle
customer (from the hardware up) I have to say it doesn't work that way in
practice.
We recently had an RDBMS bug that was exposed through GoldenGate
functionality. The back and forth between both business units and Oracle
Support was maddening.
After fingers were pointed at each BU for months we tried getting our reps
involved, however they only 'had pull' with respect to their division and
were of little external assistance. That resulted in a lot of 'we'll get
back with you' and finger pointing.

Nothing would please me more to agree with you, but I know too many people
with similar stories.

On Dec 11, 2015, at 1:19 PM, Stefan Koehler <contact@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Jeff,
good move :) imo there is absolutely no good technical reason to run
Oracle RDBMS on Windows. The only (valid) reason for doing this, could be
the
in-house knowledge of the OS team - that's it.

However Oracle Linux is also a very good choice - especially if you are
not very familiar with Linux yet. Oracle Linux (UEK) is optimized for Oracle
and already got good default settings for running RDBMS (e.g. I/O
scheduler or memory options like disabled transparent huge pages, etc.). If
you
choose another distribution, you have to do all of this on your own.

Good luck :)

Best Regards
Stefan Koehler

Freelance Oracle performance consultant and researcher
Homepage: http://www.soocs.de
Twitter: @OracleSK

Jeff Chirco <backseatdba@xxxxxxxxx> hat am 11. Dezember 2015 um 18:49
geschrieben:

So we are going to be converting our database from Windows 2008R2 64bit
over to Linux. We are not currently a big Linux shop so we don't have a
preference on the flavor. I am just assuming we would go with Oracle
Linux. Seems like it should be the perfect match. Any reason why not?

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people
very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -Douglas Adams