RE: Java vs. Perl

  • From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 09:37:26 -0600

Juan
   I think every DBA should learn Perl. With just a few hours of reading,
you can begin to create some impressive utilities.
   I think it is also a good idea to learn some Java, since it is an
important development tool, and DBAs need to have some familiarity with the
development tools their developers are using. Communication with other
people is always aided by as many common understandings as possible. We DBAs
tend to gripe about developers that don't want to understand the database,
well that also means that we DBAs need to understand the developers' world.
   But while I see a lot of DBAs whipping up impressive utilities in Perl,
and have done this myself, I haven't heard of a DBA using Java for that.
Java is more of an industrial-strength tool designed to create large-scale
applications. And besides the language itself, you need to get involved in
auxiliary programs like IDEs, code repositories, web servers, application
servers, etc. Most of the professional developers I know say it takes them
about a year of training and programming to become halfway proficient in
Java, which is similar to other languages I've learned in the past.
   So I would say that you should learn some of both, especially if your
organization uses Java, but as a DBA I would start with Perl.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams@xxxxxxxxxxxxx