Re: Install gurus wit tricks

  • From: Mark Bole <makbo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 14:28:31 -0700

Spears, Brian wrote:

Hi, years ago we use to install oracle on one unix machine...tar it up
and transfer to many other machines to save time and ensure everything
was installed the same. This was on HP's/Suns. I was proposing that to
my current group to do that method again but just wanted to know if
anybody is doing it or has tried it...

And/or is there problems preventing or complicating this?

I have written a document which answers your questions, here is the summary:

"Five shortcomings of the OUI process were identified. Using the standard Linux and Unix 'rsync' command, a method for reliably cloning ORACLE_HOME's was presented, which offers improvements in all five areas. Through judicious use of the --exclude-from and --dry-run options, the power of rsync can be tamed in the service of multiple Oracle software installations."

It's not right for every situation, but it definitely works well in some. Full document at the following link:

http://www.bincomputing.com/orahome_clone.html

-Mark Bole

-- //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l