Re: Implement Parallel Processing on DB Warehouse

  • From: Mladen Gogala <mladen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:31:41 -0500

On 02/11/2004 10:15:07 AM, "Jesse, Rich" wrote:
> Based on what?  I have a job to flush our ERP daily partially in part
> by
> advice found on Steve Adams' site http://www.ixora.com.au  As our
> nightly
> jobs will have aged out most every OLTP statement from the shared
> pool, I
> fail to see how a timely daily flush of the shared pool is harmful to
> our
> instance, which BTW is 8.1.7.4.0 on HP/UX 11.0 (9iR2 migrate in
> progress).

Well, flushing will remove all your procedures and dictionary
definitions from shared pool, and thus decrease caching which is
the primary purpose of the shared pool. If your intent is to change
mode of operation, then it may not be harmful. Flushing the shared pool
before parallel execution is definitely not needed. If, on the other
hand, you expect to reuse procedures the following day, then nightly
flushes are going to make it much harder. I am not entirely at ease
with flushing the shared pool just to keep it squeaky clean. The reason
that Steve has recommended it was to alleviate library cache
congestion. Donald didn't specify the version, so I assumed it's 9i,
which doesn't have that many problems with the library cache. Not to
mention, it exerts a bad influence on BCHR.....