RE: Implement Parallel Processing on DB Warehouse

  • From: "M Rafiq" <rafiq9857@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 18:56:29 -0500

John,

In relation with Oracle Apps I was doing the same practice and I agree with
you.

Regards
Rafiq

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj@xxxxxxx>
To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Implement Parallel Processing on DB Warehouse
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 13:59:12 -0800

Maybe we should clarify when flushing is 'harmful' and when it is not... On
an Oracle Apps database which is _heavily_ dependent on the use of Packaged
code (which can be pinned), and uses Bind variables (mostly anyway), I have
pinned large and much-used packages (as well as Sequences, Triggers and even
cursors). I have flushed the Shared Pool on this heavy OLTP database and
have not seen a rise in any of the latching stats or Cpu usage which
indicates this was harmful. The Free chunks coalesced and the largest free
chunk became quiet large. If you are not heavily dependent on Packages or
other clearly 'pinnable' objects, you *might* suffer a bit. Steve Adams has
'nice flush' script (name may be incorrect) in which he pins and _then_
flushes. Btw, you _can_ pin cursors using the Addrs + Hash value and the 'C'
type to DBMS_SHARED_POOL.KEEP....

John Kanagaraj <><
DB Soft Inc
Phone: 408-970-7002 (W)

Listen to great, commercial-free christian music 24x7x365 at
http://www.klove.com

** The opinions and facts contained in this message are entirely mine and do
not reflect those of my employer or customers **