RE: Implement Parallel Processing on DB Warehouse

  • From: Paul Drake <discgolfdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 18:24:36 -0800 (PST)

--- "Jesse, Rich" <Rich.Jesse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> "It depends"
>
> After reading Cary'n'Jeff's book, I stand by the
> original decision to flush
> daily.  To change all in-house programs to use bind
> variables would be very
> costly without adding any discernable value to our
> customers (users).  And
> to get a vendor to do the same would require some
> photos to blackmail them
> with.  I would *love* to be able to go back and help
> our folks understand
> why bind variables are necessary from the start, but
> it ain't gonna happen.
>
> Now, back to migrating databases...
>
> Rich
>
> Rich Jesse                        System/Database
> Administrator
> rich.jesse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx      QuadTech, Sussex,
> WI USA

Rich,

you have little idea as to how bad things can get with
regard to high use of non-reusable code. you might be
getting by okay for now, but another business unit
gets added, or another app module gets enabled, and
the next thing you know, you're throwing 4031s.

be afraid. be very afraid.
do not count on cursor_sharing=FORCE to get you by.
I would equate flushing the shared pool on a regular
basis with "the boat is sinking, and the bailing pump
motor is fried". time to don the lifejacket.

note: this has nothing to do with data warehousing.

Pd