Re: IMPORTANT: Complaint about private answers in oracle-l list

  • From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juancarlosreyesp@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 10:53:59 +0200

Juan Carlos Reyes Pacheco wrote:

Hi Michael, the problem is, for example I ask
I can`t start up the database I get ora-xxx,
then I receive a lot of answers but more than the half are sent only
to me, the are not shared with all the forum.

It's not always intentional. First it's more natural (to me at least) to click 'reply' than 'reply all'.
And second there is overquoting. It happened more than once that I answered briefly to a long and detailed post. The original poster gets the answer, the list doesn't. Frankly, when it bounces back I don't take the pain to snip the original post and resend (all the more that sometimes by removing too much the original meaning may be lost, and posting something out of context doesn't make necessarily any sense on the list).
It has been suggested more than once (and some people actually do it) to post a summary when some arduous problem has been solved, it's probably the best solution ...

SF