Re: IMP-00020 info

  • From: "Ron Rogers" <RROGERS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 08:08:07 -0400

Joe,
 I got the FTP to work properly by adding the BINARY option in the
here-file that I used to get the dmp files from the OpenVMS server. I am
using WS-FTP to ftp the files from the server to the pc and WS-FTP to
push the files to the Linux box. The option for WS-FTP are set to use
BINARY for all transfers.
It appears that the default transfer for ftp on linux is not binary.
Ron

>>> aregularjoe8@xxxxxxxxx 05/08/2004 7:15:54 AM >>>
I've been fighting this very error all week -- when my export/import
had been working just a week ago.  I submitted a TAR, and all the Oracle
techie could say was that the dmp file was probably corrupt.  I
responded warily, saying that five different files would have to have
been corrupt -- and why were the other 140 tables importing just
fine???

Anyway, I worked too many hours this week to ruin my weekend over this.
 But first thing Monday morning I'm going to test your workaround
(however illogical it seems!!)  If it gets me clear, I'll buy you a
virtual beer (or another beverage of your choosing!!)

Thanks for sharing the experience.  I was feeling like I was rowing a
lone boat in Oracle's Twilight Zone.

Joe Cooper
Oracle DBA
Company To Be Determined
(we're being sold, and are supposed to
meet the new owners Monday!!)

Ron Rogers <RROGERS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
List,
I have an 8.1.7.4 OpenVMS server that I export some of the tables
from and import them into a RedHat AS2.1u3 9.2.0.5 database. I was
getting the IMP-00020 (long column to large for column buffer size)
error when I tried the import today.
Researching Metalink and trying thier resolutions did not work and I
still got the errors. DIRECT,RECORDLENGTH,BUFFER,COMMIT options of
different combinations still failed.
I have done the export/import combinations on these Oracle versions in
the past and all was successful.
I ftp'd the files from the OpenVMS server directly to the RedHat
server
using the BINARY mode.
Reading the Metalink forum I noticed ONE small note that a user used
sovle his problem...he ftp'd the files from the server to his pc and
then from the pc to another server...PROBLEM SOLVED. This is the
normal
method I use but today I am trying to eliminate the pc in the middle.
I used the server - pc - server method and all is well.

Ron