RE: How I save Cingular Wireless USD 30M

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle.list@xxxxxxxxx>, "Jeremiah Wilton" <jeremiah@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 09:30:48 -0700

Tom, please don't be defensive - you posted your resume making an
extraordinary claim to a list of hundreds of Oracle professionals - what
did you expect?  You know this list's primary purpose is sharing the
detailed solutions for Oracle problems, so that's all we're asking for.
Why the solution to an Oracle bug would be confidential doesn't really
make sense to me.  There are thousands of sites on the web posting all
kinds of details about Oracle internals, problems and solutions (e.g.
Wolfgang's 10053 paper, Richard Foote's index internals, numerous
postings by Jonathan Lewis, Tom Kyte, Steve Adams and countless others).
All of these people have made their careers on digging as deep as they
can into Oracle internals and sharing their findings.  What is different
about your case that it must be kept confidential?  Was there something
special about these databases that made them susceptible to this
problem, or is it something that all of us could encounter (or even be
encountering already unbeknownst to us)?  Obviously we'd all like very
much to know if that could be the case so please share any details that
you can, or at least tell us why you can't do so.

Thanks,
Brandon

From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Tom Pall

Let me state that this is the last challenge I will answer.

The database was spending extra CPU time.

The particular database which went belly up (but I had cloned and fixed
and fed the backlogged data to) was unusable. It would not open up.  So
no steps could have been taken.  I could quote iTARS from Oracle Support
on this but that is Oracle and Cingular confidential.