Re: How I save Cingular Wireless USD 30M

  • From: "Bill Ferguson" <wbfergus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, oracle.list@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 08:24:50 -0600

Well along with "liking to know" how to fix the problem, which evidently we
won't know unless or until the exact same symptoms appear on our systems and
Oracle Support divulges the information then, I'd also like to know what
caused the problems and what exactly the symptoms were.

Just a "slow" database is rather vague. Were their consistent messages in
the alert log that pointed to something, or was everything acting like 10x
more users than normal were accessing the system, or what.

Knowing what caused the problem as well would be beneficial, in case the
same sort of process (or processes) were taken here. I've only done an
"upgrade" once, usually I prefer to always do a clean install and then
export from the old version and import into the new version, just so
everything stays as "clean" as possible, but if this was done at Cingular,
did anybody have any ideas on how the corruption occured in the first place?

--
-- Bill Ferguson