Re: Exadata newbie question

  • From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracledbaquestions@xxxxxxxxx" <oracledbaquestions@xxxxxxxxx>, ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 08:35:11 -0800 (PST)

That depends on which role you are planning to assume -- one as a DBA or one as
the newer DMA (Database Machine Adminsitrator):

http://dfitzjarrell.wordpress.com/2013/12/15/to-dma-or-not-to-dma/

I have found, through years of experience, that having a basic understanding of
the SA tasks and the ability to undertake those tasks can  make one a better
DBA, although no formal requirement exists.

I would recommend a book but I wrote it so I'll refrain from 'tooting my own
horn'.

David Fitzjarrell
Primary author, "Oracle Exadata Survival Guide"

On Monday, January 13, 2014 9:28 AM, Dba DBA <oracledbaquestions@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I have never used Exadata and neither has anyone on my team. From what I have
been reading many of the exadata DBAs have quite a bit of SA knowledge as well.
How much SA knowledge is required to exploit this? I work in a data center
environment where we host DBs. There is a separate SA team. I have skimmed some
of the docs and such.

My understanding is that exadata is rather expensive so if our customers are
going to request it they are going to expect us to fully exploit. I am trying
to get an idea about what we have to learn to be able to meet customer
expectations. The SAs are not going to be DBAs. Like most DBAs we know our way
around unix. However, I know that some of you are DBA/SA crossovers.

Any recommendation on resources other than the docs which is where I will
start? I generally prefer recommendations on books before I buy. Do we need to
gain more hardware knowledge as well? We currently support over 2000+ databases
for many customers. This is a data center environment. Some of us focus on
specific clients, but its not the same relationship that you have with a team
in a 'project environment'