Exadata newbie question

  • From: Dba DBA <oracledbaquestions@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 11:27:47 -0500

I have never used Exadata and neither has anyone on my team. From what I
have been reading many of the exadata DBAs have quite a bit of SA knowledge
as well. How much SA knowledge is required to exploit this? I work in a
data center environment where we host DBs. There is a separate SA team. I
have skimmed some of the docs and such.

My understanding is that exadata is rather expensive so if our customers
are going to request it they are going to expect us to fully exploit. I am
trying to get an idea about what we have to learn to be able to meet
customer expectations. The SAs are not going to be DBAs. Like most DBAs we
know our way around unix. However, I know that some of you are DBA/SA
crossovers.

Any recommendation on resources other than the docs which is where I will
start? I generally prefer recommendations on books before I buy. Do we need
to gain more hardware knowledge as well? We currently support over 2000+
databases for many customers. This is a data center environment. Some of us
focus on specific clients, but its not the same relationship that you have
with a team in a 'project environment'