Re: Exadata newbie question

  • From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "dedba@xxxxxxxxxx" <dedba@xxxxxxxxxx>, "oracledbaquestions@xxxxxxxxx" <oracledbaquestions@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 10:32:01 -0800 (PST)

My book was written in answer to some of the reviews of Kerry Osborne's book
stating it was too 'deep' for someone needing to get started quickly on
Exadata.  I have no problems with Kerry's book, as that's the text I used when
I was thrown 'under the bus', in a manner of speaking, with Exadata.  I find
the text by Kerry, Tanel and Randy a go-to reference (but I'm a bits and bytes
kind of guy/DBA) but I can also see where such a presentation of the
information can be daunting to some.  Mine is not a replacement for theirs, but
should be considered as a starting point leading to "Expert Oracle Exadata"
when the DBA is ready.

The one review on Amazon says it's not too difficult nor too easy, that it's
just right to get someone started.

David Fitzjarrell
Primary author, "Oracle Exadata Survival Guide"

On Monday, January 13, 2014 7:33 PM, De DBA <dedba@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have only incidentally the chance to work with Exadata machines, mostly as
"second opinion" to verify them before being taken into production. As such, I
don't know whether the DMA would need much OS knowledge. In my travels, I found
my knowledge and experience as a *NIX sysadmin invaluable in understanding what
the cluster and it's component parts are doing. Do keep in mind that the
"Machine" is in fact a complete subnet comprising several SUN servers and
switches, mounted together in a rack and setup as a redundant hardware cluster.
The DBA/DMA is usually required to manage the lot, as it presented as one
machine, so hardware knowledge is a bonus.

I haven't read David's book (sorry, David...), but I found "Expert
    Oracle Exadata" by Kerry Osborne, Randy Johnson and Tanel Poder a
    very good starting point. It may be slightly outdated (describing
    the X2), but still good to understand the reasoning and principles
    that underlie the system.

"Oracle Exadata Recipies" by John Clarke is one that I've recently
    acquired, but had no chance to use it in earnest yet. It seem ok.

As Gleb Otochkin alluded, the standard setup is as a RAC. As such K.
    Gopalakrishnan's "Oracle Real Application Clusters Handbook" is also
    part of my library.

Hth,
Tony

On 14/01/14 02:35, David Fitzjarrell wrote:

That depends on which role you are planning to assume -- one as a DBA or one as
the newer DMA (Database Machine Adminsitrator):

>http://dfitzjarrell.wordpress.com/2013/12/15/to-dma-or-not-to-dma/
>
>I have found, through years of experience, that having a basic
        understanding of the SA tasks and the ability to undertake those
        tasks can  make one a better DBA, although no formal requirement
        exists.