RE: EMC Data Deduplication

  • From: <rajendra.pande@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jrkhym@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 09:01:11 -0400

In short DD is quite useful. It does mean that you will have to
understand what the device's capability are and how it will change your
practices.

I was told by our backup folks that with DD you can get upto 50 times
compression and typically for something like ORACLE database files where
the percentage changes are small you also get a lot of de-duplication.

If your database is an edge case where say 60-70% of the data changes
then you only get the benefit of compression.

Note also that unlike RMAN the compression is happening on the DD
device.

I think DD will give you huge benefits - especially for ORACLE with
incremental backup. You just have to look at it a bit different that the
current way of doing things