Re: EMC Data Deduplication

  • From: Scott Sibert <ssibert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 07:48:38 -0500

pre 10g did not have compression built-in to RMAN.  Adding it was a huge
benefit.  8.x-9.x RMAN backups would be much bigger than 10g+ RMAN backups.

We're also looking at a dedup device and somehow using it to replicate to a
different-state DR site.  But we ship logs to standbys at that site so we
don't think this dedup will help us much.  To use this dedup for archive log
shipping it seems like we'd have to not use the regular standby shipping and
write code to look to a location on the dedup device and then have it apply
the logs to the standby.  Is anyone using dedup devices in this sort of
manner?