RE: Does anyone run test win vs. linux and can share how muchfaster is linux than windows, please?

  • From: "Kline.Michael" <Michael.Kline@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 11:02:25 -0400

This more of a general "test" that I did several years ago.

We had a Linux box that had Oracle 8 on it, it was the backup email
server, the backup DNS.

I was working with some software, so I started up a script that stressed
the database to about 95-100% cpu and held it there. Then I was using
the software to see what it would tell me about that "stress" that I was
inflicting on the database. Just a test.

About 3 months later we had a new copy of the software, so I thought I'd
point to that Version 8 database on the linux box. I was surprised to
find the box was in the BILLIONS of I/O on a box that even after 3
months should have been less than a million. Not know what in the world
could be wrong, I took a closer look.

I had forgot to stop the "stress script". The box had been pushed to
95-100% cpu, it had never hiccupped on the database, the email or the
DNS. I stopped the script and everything went back to normal.

This wasn't a "performance" test of sorts, but most of my Windows
servers would have choked big time trying to do that kind of load. I
have had windows servers that would cook nicely for 3-5 months at a time
though.

Michael Kline
Database Administration
Outside 804.261.9446
Cell 804.744.1545
3-9446

LEGAL DISCLAIMER
The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking action in
reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please

Seeing Beyond Money is a service mark of SunTrust Banks, Inc.
[ST:XCL]