RE: Does anyone run test win vs. linux and can share how muchfaster is linux than windows, please?

  • From: "Billy Verreynne (JW)" <VerreyB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 08:51:28 +0200

Jared Still wrote:

> Disagree.
>
> I've run an application database on two nearly identical
> servers, one running linux, one running windows.
<snipped>
> Running the same data feeding the same application, the
> linuxbox was noticably faster. No, I didn't measure it,
> it was not important at the time.

Time for my fly story again. It goes something like this.

This scientist experiments with a fly. Places the fly on the table.
Claps his hands close to the fly. The fly flies away. He then break
the wings off of the fly and claps his hands again. The fly does not
fly away. So he records on his clipboard that a fly without wings is
deaf.

Moral of the story. If you do not know that wings is what causes a fly
to fly, thinking that a wingless fly is deaf seems to be a vaid
conclusion. Despite the fact that it is very far from the truth.

The reason for the one machine to be slow could be anything from an
incorrectly configured half-duplex network card, to having the
infamous 3D OpenGL Pipes screen saver running and consuming most of
the resources of that machine.

Observation alone means *nothing*. No valid conclusions can be made
for observation alone. Especially not when dealing with performance
comparisons which by their very nature is a an extremely complex
beast.

IMO you have not proved or shown anything that Linux is indeed a
faster o/s than Windows for Oracle performance.

Performance is not the choice that is made when deciding on o/s. The
real issues are support, maintenance, usablity, flexibility,
scalability, levels of support for external devices (e.g. SANs, robot
tape drives), in-house compotence in support and administrating it and
wheher or not that o/s will run properly on the h/w range that is
considered to be use. (btw, I have seen many times that the h/w
decision is the primary one and not what the o/s is).

--
Billy

This e-mail and its contents are subject to the Telkom SA Limited
e-mail legal notice available at
http://www.telkom.co.za/TelkomEMailLegalNotice.PDF