RE: Does anyone run test win vs. linux and can share how muchfaster is linux than windows, please?

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <darrell@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:20:51 -0700

Actually, I think Windows probably does dynamically shrink it's physical memory
to accomodate the need of it's apps (Oracle in this case).  SQL Server does the
same thing - it will take as much memory as it can get by default and will
automatically shrink if Windows tells it to.  Memory management is very dynamic
with Windows, but the main problem I've seen with memory on windows is that
memory isn't freed cleanly when processes are killed or terminate abnormally.