Re: Differences in key database design and architecture

  • From: richard goulet <rjgoulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 13:24:59 -0500

Mladen,

 "However, people are working on the global indexes and I expect to have them before long. And that will mean trouble for the Redwood Shores."

We've seen the demise of VMS and HP-MPE as operating systems as well s DEC and a pretty bashed up but not dead yet HP which I won't belittle as they had issues of their own. But I don't think Oracle has totally similar issues. Yes they are Platinum plated which sooner or later will create it's own issues, but they do run on most operating systems out there and just about any hardware. Last I looked, which has been some time ago, PostgresSQL only ran on Windows and Linux. And there are a lot more limitations that Oracle has mastered that PostgreSQL has not yet started on. So although I do agree that Redwood Shores has some hard times coming due to cost differences, but that time is looking pretty far in the future as long as functionality, performance, and larger data set improvements continue.

In a race the "leader" has the advantage that he has already crossed the ground that those behind still have to cover.

Richard Goulet, MSgt USAF (ret)