RE: Differences between Oracle and Progress

  • From: ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: ineyman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, <kamutandeb@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 14:39:51 +0000

Progress is not postgre. Its a completely different project. Progress is not a
SQL database. They write regular linear code. I was on a project for a couple
of years with a progress element. The front end was in progress code that
generated sql. You can also use a progress database. It uses a 4GL programming
language that looked pretty simple.

they are two totally different things. Progress seems to have a niche market.
They don't do any advertising. The biggets problem with progress is that there
are not alot of progress developers. so even in an urban area you are probably
going to have to bring people in from other parts of the country.

its not comparable. Progress is not in the same league of database as oracle.
Also, progress only seems to function acceptably in OLTP. I sat down with the
progress DBA and we tested some full table scans. The performance was terrible
even for a small set of rows.

From: "Igor Neyman" <ineyman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>