RE: Differences between Oracle and Progress

  • From: "Kevin Closson" <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 10:14:10 -0700

I'll second this.  Progress is a different animal, not to be confused
with Postgres at all.  I was saddled with the unpleasant task of
upgrading our v6 Progress db to v9 just so we could move it off of SCO
onto Linux for some legacy inventory application.  That's more
Progress than I even want to know again.

...pretty cool 4GL though...back when 4GLs seemed sexy. I did a lot of
Progress V6 stuff and liveed to tell about it.  Love the Pcode
libraries...no wait, I mean I hate the fact that they didn't mmap them
and caused massive OS buffer cache contention because they constantly
opened and read them...ugh.