RE: DB Movement from Sun to AIX ?

  • From: "Tim Gorman" <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: VIVEK_SHARMA@xxxxxxxxxxx, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 08:50:04 -0700

This may sound a bit minimalist, but you can buy a 300Gb-512Gb firewire drive
for $300-$500 or so.  Make it into NFS mounted volumes presented from a
laptop.  Copy files to it, pack up the laptop and the drive(s) and then just
drive to the other facility, repeat process in reverse.

Sound far-fetched?  I did exactly this with a 200Gb "secret" government
database last year, except I had to fly between data centers (won't explain
almost getting cavity-searched at the airport for booking a one-way ticket on
short notice!).  Overall, this worked faster and better than all of the other
more elaborate plans involving temporary T1 lines, rented/loaner storage
arrays, etc...

Keep it simple.

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 20:47:49 +0530, VIVEK_SHARMA wrote