Re: DB Movement from Sun to AIX ?

  • From: Paul Drake <bdbafh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pearceb@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 12:44:17 -0400

On 8/22/05, Byron Pearce <pearceb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I concur.  I have done tasks very similar to what Tim is describing and
> it works great.
>
> One caveat, though, is to make sure you're using USB 2.0 if your laptop
> doesn't support Firewire.  I got stuck doing several hundred GB's over
> USB 1.1 once and the experience was almost too painful to discuss.

They didn't call it USB 1.1 for nothing.
USB 1.1 ~ 1.1 MB/sec transfer rate off of a USB mounted external IDE drive.
The same drive mounted on a USB 2.0 interface provides for about 27
MB/sec sustained transfer rate.

Yes, there are vendors of PCI-X USB/1394 Firewire adapters, I found
one for about 80 USD.
If you instead hang the external IDE drive off of your laptop, you'll
be limited to about 9 MB/sec transfer due to the fast ethernet
bottleneck ... unless your laptop has a GigE nic.

Pd

--
#/etc/init.d/init.cssd stop
# f=ma, divide by 1, convert to moles.