RE: Curioser and Curiouser

  • From: J.Velikanovs@xxxxxxxx
  • To: cary.millsap@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 17:56:25 +0200

>The number one ingredient in the performance of Oracle is whether there's
>PERSON in the system who has the will and the skill to make it run
>efficiently. If you have that, you can run Oracle on anything.
If you even have such a person you cant run APP on HW if it is undersized.
I mean, if you have complex application and all human resources
you can imagine,it will never be possible to run it on undersized HW
anyway.
I wonder haven' t you really been in such a situation when you
physically can?t run the application on the HW?

Why am I concerned about this matter, I was in situations when
it is hard to decide whether to continue tuning efforts or to give up
and recommend customer to upgrade HW.
How do you find the equilibrium in your practice?

I understand there isn?t a universal solution (as it usually is in
IT/consulting business).
However, could you please share your thoughts with us regarding this
matter?

PS It is even harder to predict the HW requirements at the beginning of
development project (at the stage of definition/analysis). As Tom Kyte
said during our conversation (2004 Estonia, Tallin) whether you make
prototype, or it is a matter of luck.

Jurijs
+371 9268222 (+2 GMT)
Thank you for teaching me.