Re: Curioser and Curiouser

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jkstill@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 19:35:05 +0000

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 11:11:49 -0800, Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Very true.
>
> I think it worth noting however that the effort to make Oracle run
> on platform X may be at a much higher level that what is required
> to get that level of performance on platform Y.

I wonder however, how much that effort is platform dependent and how
much is person dependent. In the simple example that I gave I had to
spend twice as much time researching the linux issues as I did solving
the windows ones. This doesn't make windows easier - just reflects the
15 years or so I've spent doing database work on it. For a windows guy
relinking an executable and telling oracle about the file io
capabilities of the filesystem is new work.
--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA