Conceptually cloning an oracle home

  • From: Bob <orcl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 19:39:30 -0400

OS= HP-UX 11
Oracle version 10.1.0.4

I need to move a bunch of oracle homes to new filesystems. The problem is matching up the installed options exactly. One would think, install the new version via custom install, choose from the pick list - the primary features (partitioning, data mining, label security etc) What happens is... when I do a opatch lsinventory details > optionlist.txt and compare to the production install, there are huge number of items that are in prod but not in the new install. Even doing a full "enterprise" install, there is a long list of missing options/features. I need to match the production home's options/features *exactly*

The measuring tool is "opatch details" . Although I've dumped the "installed products" from OUI and there is a similar huge list of missing features.

I know going forward, 10.2 ... and even more stable in 11.* there is the ability to actually "clone" the home. So, conceptually that's what I need to do. I have about 50 homes to move... so I need to get a repeatable process.

Upgrading the databases is not an option. Finding a new job is not an option. Has anyone done this, or has any ideas?

Thanks
Bob

--
"Oracle error messages being what they are, do not
highlight the correct cause of fault, but will identify