RE: Cluster File System Versus ASM for RAC Deployment in Production?... Pros & Cons

  • From: "Crisler, Jon" <Jon.Crisler@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 12:56:27 -0500

I think this is a big factor-  VCS can cost a lot of money, while ASM is
free.

OCFS2 has an advantage in one area- training, because it appears as a
standard file system.  Once you get past the initial install, it looks
the same as a regular filesystem.   Its also free.

ASM is reportedly faster that OCFS2 or cluster file systems, but I have
not seen that in the real world (yet).  Its also free.