RE: Calling O/S Scripts From PL/SQL

  • From: "Michael Fontana" <MFontana@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 12:29:42 -0400

 << We have an issue where we need to drop and recreate tables, indexes,
triggers, stored procedures, etc.  The programmer involved has contacted
me because they have to do this via a stored procedure.  The reason is
that the tool they are using (Synopsis) isn't easily able to call O/S
scripts.  The problem they are having is in creating the triggers.  The
triggers get created (via an "execute immediate" statement), but are
invalid and the stored procedure returns an error (ora-24344 success
with compilation error).

   My suggestion was to keep the original SQL*Plus scripts and call them
from the stored procedure.  The problem is, I can't figure out how to do
that.  I've found documentation on how to call C and JAVA external
programs, but not SQL*Plus scripts.  I'm sure it can be done, even if
there's a way to call an O/S program (sqlplus) from the stored
procedure, but I can't figure it out and time is running out. >>

Not sure why these "have to be" called from a stored procedure.  Could
you please elaborate?

Even if such were the case, the code must be external to the database,
true?

Not sure I can answer this query without knowing the answer to the above
two questions...