Calling O/S Scripts From PL/SQL

  • From: "Scott Canaan" <srcdco@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 12:02:00 -0400

   We have an issue where we need to drop and recreate tables, indexes,
triggers, stored procedures, etc.  The programmer involved has contacted
me because they have to do this via a stored procedure.  The reason is
that the tool they are using (Synopsis) isn't easily able to call O/S
scripts.  The problem they are having is in creating the triggers.  The
triggers get created (via an "execute immediate" statement), but are
invalid and the stored procedure returns an error (ora-24344 success
with compilation error).

   My suggestion was to keep the original SQL*Plus scripts and call them
from the stored procedure.  The problem is, I can't figure out how to do
that.  I've found documentation on how to call C and JAVA external
programs, but not SQL*Plus scripts.  I'm sure it can be done, even if
there's a way to call an O/S program (sqlplus) from the stored
procedure, but I can't figure it out and time is running out.

Here are the specifics:

Oracle 10.2.0.2

Sun Solaris 10

Thank you,

Scott Canaan '88 (Scott.Canaan@xxxxxxx)

(585) 475-7886

"Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends on what you put
into it." - Tom Lehrer.