RE: Books to suggest

  • From: "Chris Stephens" <ChrisStephens@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 07:29:20 -0500

Thalis,

I think standard recommendation is to check out the concepts and admin
guide as well as the Oracle docs for any other topic you may be
interested in.  Both are free and really lay a good foundation.

After that the heavy hitters are expert one-on-one, effective oracle by
design, oracle internals, optimizing oracle performance, oracle
performance tuning, rman backup and recovery, oracle design, oracle sql
high-performance tuning, practical oracle 8i. =20

in addition, i highly recommend sql tuning from tow.  I've just read
through it once and it's really good.  It's not specific to oracle but
it has already contributed immeasurably to my understanding of sql.  I
wish something like this had been available a few years ago.  I've spent
the last 3 years as a dba and have always known that my true
effectiveness was severely limited by my novice ability to tune
sql....easily the most high-impact area from a performance perspective
on most systems.  ...it looks like it will take quite a bit of practice
to become fluent but i'm confident that it is time well spent.

Good luck!=20
The fun never stops!
chris