Big question for data 'replication '

  • From: "Alessandro Vercelli" <alever@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle Freelists\.org" <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 12:08:21 +0200

Hi all,
I've inherited a couple of Oracle low-range servers, RedHat ES 3; each node
contains an Oracle 10.1 database; both DBs have same physical and structure ans
same schemas/tables, the application is installed on a separated machine; the
oddity is that the db schema involved in the application contains two (yes,
two...) tables of ~300 and ~1.000.000 records, nearly; the schema works with
Spatial feature enabled and most probably this has been the requirement for an
expensive (and not easy to mantain) Oracle DB.

My question is: assuming I need to maintan both DBs aligned, defining a primary
DB and replicating data on the secondary, what are the technical suitable
choices ?

On my own, I took into consideration:
- Data Guard: like driving a Ferrari in a traffic jam, where do you want to go?
is it worth such a product for two tables? can we afford the increased resource
needs? moreover does DG make sense without a disaster-recovery environment?
- Replication: it works well enough and not hard to mantain; I know this
feature little, is it still implemented? Could you give some hints on how to
build it? I used this word in the subject, but it doesn't mean I want to use it;
- Build on own solution, working at application level or other non-complex DB
features (triggers ?); has someone some similar experience to share?

Thanks to everyone who will reply,

Alessandro

Salva ora il tuo preventivo gratuito Direct Line e assicurati lo sconto extra
5+5% sulla polizza auto!
http://click.libero.it/directline2