RE: An Oracle Utilities Pocket Reference?

  • From: "Juan Carlos Reyes Pacheco" <jreyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 12:46:25 -0400

Jonathan,=0D
I don't find too useful, because when I need to know sometihng I go to
online documentation or in the pdf I downloaded.=0D
You have to think that once the next releases comes, I prefer to see
documentation because it is up to date, meanwhile the reference pocket ca=
n't
be.=0D
=0D
What I would prefer is a document showing you what is best, for example w=
hen
creating a tablespace, etc. basically something like I put in my paper,
something brief and clear, with link where there are more details, but th=
important is to set the definition for example "triggers are slower becau=
se
it compiles once per execution".=0D
BRIEF AND CLEAR, I think stablish a maximum of 50 word for every definiti=
on.=0D
=0D
I think if every one should read the documentation as every one should, I
think All forums including Tom Kyte will have at least 1 30% less questio=
ns.=0D
=0D
I like to read documentation, when I have time, but I think pocket
references are useful for people who don't like.=0D
=0D
What I would suggest you instead a pocket reference a Tutor.=0D
=0D
This is, to teach a task and help to newbies to develop expertise (I thin=
most of us are newbies in some area like intermedia, oltp, etc. etc.) so
your market could be really interesting but this will need more work, =0D
On example about creating indexes, instead of showing the index statement=
,
you show the logical step to follow to decide which index to use, very cl=
ear
 short and simple.:=0D
Then the post-creating tasks. for example and example of all the views an=
queries to evaluate index work.and tuning.=0D
=0D
Now if you do the same to install and configure and evaluate and fix
problems with mts for example, I think I will be really interested in buy=
 it
=0D
But as I said and I repeat you, I'm talking a BRIEF AND CLEAR, I have now=
 3
book about 600 pages i didn't end to read, if you rewrite the documentati=
on
in other order, I don't think people who didn't read the documentation wi=
ll
read your pocket reference.=0D
=0D
I think if you think in your pocket idea, as another product, a OCP newbi=
tutor, even an OCM tutor, this product could be used to as a pocket
reference, but the market you could reach could be different and more
interesting.=0D
=0D
I hope this help=0D
 =0D