RE: 2-node RAC faster than 6-node!

  • From: "Randy Johnson" <oraclelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 09:28:40 -0500

I've been reading along and there have been several good ideas kicked around.
However as we all know Oracle is a wonderful and complex beast. I've found the
best approach to this type of problem solving is to rely on Oracle's
instrumentation of the database. ie. the Wait Events. I'm a little surprised
that there was only brief mention of running a AWR report (from Alex I
believe). Just about everything you need to diagnose this problem can be found
there. You should use a consistent work load, run the report for a narrow
period of time (perhaps 15-30 minutes) and run one for each configuration (1
node, 2 nodes, 3 nodes, ...). You may find that running 10046 session traces
will also be helpful. Remember you are looking for your top waits. Where is the
database spending most of its time.

Take a look at your top 5 wait events and do a little online research. Other
areas of interest would be the RAC Statistics -- Avg global cache cr block
receive time and Avg global cache current block receive time in particular.
Also take a quick look at your IO Stats and Top SQL Statements. Focus on the
statements sorted by the type of wait Oracle spends most of its time on. For
example if CPU show on the top of your top 5 wait events then look at SQL
sorted by CPU.

You will find alot of good information out on the Web regarding thresholds and
what to look for. For example what the normal range and upper bounds on the
interconnect statistics.

Hope this helps.

    -Randy

  _____